YouTube advertising is part of your AdWords account and any video uploaded to YouTube can be an ad. Pre-roll video ads appear before other videos on YouTube, and other video ads can appear beside playing videos and in search results.
Like pay-per-click advertising, you have control over your daily budget. What is unique is you only pay when someone engages with your ad, and if viewers skip the ad before it’s over, you don’t pay for that video ad playing.
You can create video campaigns in AdWords in a range of video formats to engage customers on YouTube and video partner sites.
Video formats include:
- In-stream ads – your ad plays before, during, or after other videos
- Video discovery ads – (formerly called in-display ads) show next to related videos, in YouTube search results, or by content across the Google display network
- Bumper ads – an ad 6 seconds or shorter that plays before, during or after another video.
YouTube advertising has target options that let you narrow down your audience by age, gender, location, interests and more. Built-in analytics let track ad performance and make improvements.
To create an AdWords TrueView (YouTube) campaign you need to have your video ad uploaded to your YouTube account and then:
- Select the YouTube video ad for your campaign
- Create your video ad
- Decide how much you are willing to spend
- Choose your target audience